Monday, December 10, 2007

I'll be...partially blind for Christmas


First a bit of history, two summers ago whilst on a walk early one Sunday evening I was jumped and beaten by a group young men, they hit the right side of my face with some sort of board which blinded my right eye (temporarily) for the next few months. During the first month my eye was subjected to weekly tests in order to see if the vision would return, I was forced to wear an eye patch completely isolating my eyes from one another. My right eye (much like my hand) is my dominant eye, losing it meant no photography for a while until the eye was at least partially healing (short vision came back before the long vision), negotiating driving and walking while seeing half of what I was used to. Had it no been so traumatizing at the time it would have been an interesting experiment in seeing / perception / balance / and mental and physical "dominance”.

So that’s why I decided to repeat the blindness for a few short days and just make some observations with the clarity and the curiosity I wish I would have had back when the original event had occurred. This year I’ve decided to only to see ½ of Christmas. I’ll be wearing the very same patch over my right eye from Dec 22nd – Dec 25th. Observations will start on the eve of the 22nd. It’s also perhaps in some way a mental cleansing through choosing to “blind” that eye for a time rather than having it violently forced upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment